Vacancy – AUTUMN 2023 Corporate Tax Trainee (School Leaver)
Rowleys is an independent accountancy firm working across the East Midlands, with our office based in Leicester, near Junction 21 of the M1. We are a forward thinking firm who are continually investing in our people and their development. We are looking for like-minded individuals to join our team and be a part of our future growth.
We are looking to recruit a school leaver in our Tax department who wants to learn and develop into a qualified tax advisor. Our trainees are supported with their studies, using a highly respected training provider and we support people with time off for study through a block release programme. We genuinely understand the balance that is needed for trainees who need to learn on the job, but also have the space to get through their professional studies successfully.
This trainee role offers an opportunity to become part of Rowleys expanding Corporate Tax Team. Work within the department includes assisting with the Corporation Tax compliance review and returns process and working on tax advisory projects, mainly focussed on the personal and business direct tax issues. You will develop an understanding of the areas of Corporate Tax work, through exposure to a wide variety of corporate clients operating in various sectors. You will work closely with, and support the team Manager and Partner.
Throughout the training contract you will learn the bedrock of accounting and tax preparation. You will see the direct benefit of the work you do when working with clients as individuals, and you will get the opportunity to build strong relationships with our clients.
We operate a hybrid working model, so as a trainee you will split your time between working from home, spending valuable time in the office, visiting clients when required or studying for your professional exams.
We are looking for candidates with a strong desire to learn and progress, and we give increasing responsibility when an individual is ready, rather than at pre-determined times through a fixed matrix. As an independent firm based in one location it means we can be flexible in our approach.
Our broad expectation of roles and responsibilities during the five year training contract is set out below.
We expect School Leavers in this role will study for the ATT qualification for two years before moving on to the CTA qualification.
The main responsibilities of this role over the training contract will include:
- Prepare, process and manage the Corporation Tax work for a portfolio of clients efficiently and profitably within the required statutory deadlines, to ensure compliance with HMRC regulations.
- Prepare all supporting documentation and act as a main point of contact providing assistance and advice, along with specific details of tax liabilities / calculations, in order to manage client expectations and provide an excellent level of customer service.
- Assist with, identify and scope potential advisory work and respond to any ad hoc tax queries (both internally and externally) which may be raised in a timely manner. This will include technical analysis, report writing, clearance applications and implementation.
- Participate in client meetings and manage client expectations by ensuring they are always kept up to date and understand the information presented to them.
- Keep senior colleagues fully informed of the status of all work, especially any challenges or delays encountered and suggestion for resolution of the same to manage workload issues to ensure that work is completed within the required deadlines.
- Assist the team with all administration tasks for ad hoc assignments, liaising with the relevant client contacts to ensure all billing is completed, work is recognised and to assist in achieving the department’s annual billing targets.
- Participate and contribute to the development of the team in order to assist the team in meeting its objectives.
- Maintain up to date technical knowledge and attend all relevant training, seminars and conferences to ensure you are aware of the most up to date legislation and to continue developing your own personal knowledge as required by the regulatory body.
To develop into a successful advisor, there are also many other personal traits that are important. At this stage in your career, these are the key areas we will be exploring through our assessment process. The key values of our business are:
We put DECENCY at the forefront of everything we do and this is demonstrated by our key values:
We have INTEGRITY we work to definitive ethical standards, free from bias, dishonesty and injustice.
We have PASSION we commit to doing our jobs to the best of our ability and we enjoy what we do.
We are OPEN we share new ideas, we work with honesty and are positive about change.
We are EMPOWERING we encourage and enable our people to act independently and fulfil their potential.
We are RELIABLE we do what we say, when we say we will and can be trusted for our accuracy.
We are CARING we support each other and play a responsible role in our local community.
We are CHALLENGING we question the way things are done and encourage innovation.
We are FAIR we treat everyone equally and deliver a consistent messages.
Rowleys has spent a significant amount of time over the years listening to our employees and trying to give an overall package that sets us apart from other firms.
Our ultimate priority is to employ personable individuals with a passion for excellent service, whilst ensuring work life balance and wellbeing is embedded in our culture.
As we focus more on the personal skills of individuals at this stage in their careers, we do not have any academic entry criteria for this programme. We would encourage any School Leaver to apply who is just about to or has recently completed their A-Levels and feels they have the drive, can make a difference at Rowleys, and have the ability to get through the professional exams.
Find out what it is like to work at Rowleys (https://www.rowleys.biz/working-at-rowleys/)
How to apply and what to expect:
If you wish to apply for a position, please email our practice manager who leads our recruitment process, Natalie Adcock (email@example.com) and ask for an application form. We will then ask you to complete this as soon as possible and submit back to us. We do not expect you to prepare a separate CV as all of your details will be included in the application form.